Cell Phone, Translator, and Electronic Policy
- Cell phones, tablets, iPods, iPads, or other such devices are prohibited during school hours. These devices must remain out of sight for the duration of the school day including lunch, break, and passing periods. Any cell phone, tablet, iPod, iPad, etc. that is not out of sight will be taken and held in the front office.
- Laptops are permitted for approved academic purposes only.
- Only approved translators that do not have Internet or Wi-Fi capabilities are acceptable during school hours and must be pre-approved by the front office.
The approved translators are:
The ECTACO Partner EV500 and the ECTACO Partner 500AL PRO.
Both are multilingual and will meet the needs of all our international students. The EV500 is $139 and the Pro is $179. They can be purchased from this site:
http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-partner-ev500 or by calling 1-347-728-1354.
- We strongly urge parents to require their students to leave all other electronic devices at home. If these devices are on campus they must be safely put away in a backpack, bag or locker. If visible at any time, they will be taken and held in the front office.
- Parents needing to contact students may do so through the front office, or expect texts and phone calls to be returned after school
Occasionally circumstances arise where the contents of pictures or messages may be in question on students’ electronic devices. We reserve the right to view the contents of such electronic devices when these circumstances arise.
The consequences of having these items taken during school hours are as follows:
- First Offense: For a period of five (5) days the student will turn their electronic device(s) into the front office upon arrival at school and may pick it up at the end of the school day. Parent or guardian will be notified.
- Second Offense: A parent or guardian will have to pick up the electronic device in the office.
- Third Offense: In house suspension.
- Further Offenses: Each further offense will have an additional day of suspension added (e.g. fourth offense – 2 days’ suspension, fifth offense – 3 days’ suspension). Parent/Guardian will be called and requested to check for electronic devices prior to coming to school.
- These consequences will be reset at the beginning of each semester.